1920'sThe owners of the Long Beach Company, developers of the Long Beach community, hired Dr. William Hall to create the routing for the Long Beach golf course. Dr. Hall was a local dentist, an excellent player, and a member of the other local private club, Pottawattomie Country Club (founded in 1918). It is believed that Dr. Hall supervised the course construction during 1920 and 1921 and the course was open for play in the spring of 1924. The Long Beach Country Club itself was incorporated in the State of Indiana on February 29, 1924.
1930'sThe early golf course history of the club is otherwise very sketchy, as all club records went up in smoke in a fire that destroyed the clubhouse in 1935. The course, however, retains its original routing and most tees and greens are in their original locations.
In 1975, architect Ken Killian was asked to develop a master renovation/modernization plan for the course. The Board of Directors at that time, however, chose to accept only a portion of Mr. Killian's recommendations. Over the next few years, the number 15 and number 16 greens were rebuilt, fairway bunkers were added on number 9 and number 18, and the number 14 green was expanded.
1970'sAs the club membership grew during the 1970's and 1980's, Dr. Michael Hurdzan was contracted to develop a master plan for the renovation and remodeling of the course in 1989. Dr. Hurdzan's plan still guides the on-going upgrades of the course, which have included:
The course ratings and slopes are:
VINTAGE PHOTO ENSEMBLES